On the eve of my 33rd birthday, I look back and reflect on the 365 days before me with gratitude:
- Received a promotion at work
- Moved to a new ‘hood with a new friend
- Traveled to 4 countries and went on 6 other vacations
- Had the honor of serving as the maid of honor in my cousin’s wedding
- Attended two yoga retreats
- Made new friendships and strengthened old ones
- Wrote a multitude of articles for new publications
- Deepened my yoga practice and started my meditation practice
- Volunteered countless hours to organizations to which I’m connected
When I turned 31, I cried and cried about my birthday. I felt like I hadn’t accomplished anything because I couldn’t hold a relationship, let alone get married and have babies. I was – and have been for many years – consumed with having a family as my purpose in life. On past birthdays I’ve wished for love, a husband, marriage, a family, but this year I wish for continued happiness.
This year, I look back and think about so much more. Do I want a family? You better believe it! But I’m proud and happy about the fact that I am so so so so much more than that. My identity isn’t defined by my singlehood. I am a yogi, a writer, a volunteer extraordinaire, a Girl Scout, a friend, a sister, a cousin, a daughter, an auntie, a traveler, a person who’s comfortable in her own skin.
So, here, on the eve of my 33rd birthday, I won’t mourn anything. I’ll celebrate all of the greatness! Thank you to everyone who’s contributed – even in some small way – to the fantastic past 365. And if I didn’t see you while I was 32, let’s grab a glass of wine sometime.
3 thoughts on “33, Happy Birthday to Me!”
Happy Happy Birthday. This was so wonderful to read as I too turn 33 on Monday. Happiest of Birthdays to you and I’m raising an imaginary glass of wine to toast to another year of happiness and growth. Cheers!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks, Bri! Happy early birthday to you!!