On the eve of my 33rd birthday, I look back and reflect on the 365 days before me with gratitude:
- Received a promotion at work
- Moved to a new ‘hood with a new friend
- Traveled to 4 countries and went on 6 other vacations
- Had the honor of serving as the maid of honor in my cousin’s wedding
- Attended two yoga retreats
- Made new friendships and strengthened old ones
- Wrote a multitude of articles for new publications
- Deepened my yoga practice and started my meditation practice
- Volunteered countless hours to organizations to which I’m connected
When I turned 31, I cried and cried about my birthday. I felt like I hadn’t accomplished anything because I couldn’t hold a relationship, let alone get married and have babies. I was – and have been for many years – consumed with having a family as my purpose in life. On past birthdays I’ve wished for love, a husband, marriage, a family, but this year I wish for continued happiness.
Continue reading 33, Happy Birthday to Me!
365 days ago, I cried on my birthday because I was afraid that I hadn’t accomplished enough in the last year. I was 31 and in the past year, I hadn’t gotten a raise, earned a promotion, found the love of my life, or had babies. I was in exactly the same place I’d been the year before. It’s not that I wasn’t accomplished, but it felt like my life had moved nowhere in 12 months.
This year, though, the only tears I had were ones of appreciation. I had thoughtful texts, phone calls, Facebook posts, and in-person time from best friends, family members, friends from the past, and cute boys. I’ve had goose bumps of happiness for the past few days, starting with the boozy brunch I had with 9 of my Chicago girlfriends on Saturday and continuing to the cookie cake my coworkers surprised me with today, the 105 (and counting) Facebook posts, dinner and shopping with my parents, and countless personal texts and phone calls from around the world.
Continue reading 32: The Year of You!